Q & A with Elhondra Brazzle

You think you know her. You’ve seen her in the hallways and you’ve seen her in class but have you seen her on stage? You don’t really know Ehlondra Brazzle until you’ve seen her perform.

Q: What are some activities that you’re involved in at East?

A: Brazzle has been a apart of many activities but her main one is Movement 515.

Q: Why did you join Movement 515?

A: Brazzle joined Movement 515 when she was a freshman, just barely getting involved with poetry. Her brother was the one who introduced her to Movement 515. “After he introduced me to Movement, it took off from there,” Brazzle said.

Q:  You were a part of the Brave New Voices. What was that like?

A:  She has been a part of Brave New voices since she was a freshman. This year is her fourth and final year. “My sophomore year was probably my favorite year because I really loved the team. I think it’s just a really great experience all together,” Brazzle said.

Q: What are your plans for the future?

A: Brazzle plans to go to the Art Academy of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio. “I’m going to do four years there and honestly, see where life takes me which is what I’m really open to,” Brazzle said.

Q: What do you want to major in?

A: She plans to major in creative writing, film and photography.  “Those are like a few of my passions so I’m definitely going to major in them,” Brazzle said.

Q: What are some of your goals for the future?

A: Brazzle plans to be an artist and a performer. She also hopes to make her own movies and television shows. “I definitely want to be an artist. I know that’s one thing that I  definitely definitely want to do,” Brazzle said.

Q: How were you like your freshman year?

A:  When Brazzle was a  freshman, she  was very shy and timid. Now, she is the complete opposite of that. She’s very outspoken and vocal. “Oh my gosh I was so shy. I never spoke and then when I would get on stage people would be like “What is happening? She’s talking.” I do think that the stage had something to do with me not being shy anymore,” Brazzle said.

Q: What was your turning point? When did you decide to change?

A: Brazzle’s turning point was when was a sophomore. she realized what life could be for her and that’s what motivated her to change. “I saw what life could be. For me, it was more so, am I going to be sad and shy or am I going to do these things that better myself. That’s when I decided that I wasn’t going to let life get in my way,” Brazzle said.

Q: What has been your proudest moment throughout your whole four years of high school?

A: Her proudest moment was when she went to Washington to compete in a national competition. She placed first and  she performed in front of the first Black woman in Congress and a famous author. “It was all a big deal for me. It was amazing in general. That was most definitely one of my proudest moments,” Brazzle said.

Q: What are you most excited about when It comes to your future?

A: Brazzle is most excited about her art and what she is going to create. Overall, she’s excited about new beginnings. “Knowing that I’m going to learn a lot of new things in college is amazing to me. The new experiences that I will find excite me too,” Brazzle said. Brazzle will be representing East and Movement 515 at Brave New Voices from July 19-22 in San Francisco.