Growing into a Scarlet

How students change throughout high school

Emilie Youngwirth

Being squished in crowded halls filled with unfamiliar faces, nerves running through your body, scared about what will happen during your day, being considered the ‘newbie’. Walking into high school for the first time can be frightening. No freshman truly knows who they are yet, but are guaranteed to leave a difference person.

“I want to become more open minded and become a better person,” ninth grader Breanna Howard said.

High school is a journey that impacts everyone one way or another. Freshman Breanna Howard is just beginning hers. While at East, Howard wants to be more acceptive with the people around her and remain getting straight A’s. During her first semester of high school, Howard has already tried many new things such as Volleyball and played softball for East in the summer. These are just the small new changes that will lead to bigger differences in the end.

“I definitely felt excepted. They boosted the ability to be confident in yourself. I didn’t down myself. I didn’t feel that from anyone in the building,” Senior Nic Graziano said.

Coming close to the end of Nic Grazianos High School career, he knows just who he is. After years of trying to figure himself out, Graziano says junior year really helped him mature into the person he is today. Even as early middle school he has always enjoyed musicals and plays. During his freshman year he watched Easts production of “High School Musical” and was inspired. It wasn’t until his sophomore year that he actually got to participate in an East High musical but has every year since. With the openness and help of East High School, Graziano has gained confidence and now never doubts to express himself.

“I’ve seen students I had as Freshman then again as Seniors and their personalities are different. They’ve came out of their shell. They’ve really identified who they are as a person.” FCS teacher Ms. O’Connor said.

O’Connor’s fun and bubbly personality helps her create strong relationships with her students. Her understanding of teenagers makes her an easy adult to approach. Over her time at East she has seen many students turn into grown ups and find their individuality. She gets to watch teens develop relationships and test their values and beliefs which shapes them into their new self. O’Connor believes that some of the most significant changes between Freshman and Senior year is the maturity of students and time management skills that they have learned. During a students time is High School countless challenges and changes will occur, and teachers at East just like Ms. O’Connor are there to watch them all.

“It’s a time for complete metamorphosis of your life, you start as a caterpillar and leave here as a butterfly with who you are as a person,” Oconnor said.