Madi Garcia

Alyssa Ayersman, Staffer

Follow a senior’s journey on her transition back to the California life

27 hours, 1,846 miles, 6 states… Moving is a big deal, especially the move that Madi Garcia experienced when she was only 8 years old and is about to experience again at age 18. She moved to Des Moines the summer before third grade, from California.
“Growing up in Iowa has been an adventurous experience… it’s been a blessing growing up in such a vibrant community,” Garcia said.
Garcia has lived in Des Moines ever since she first got off the plane. She attended St. Anthony’s Catholic School for the remainder of her elementary years and all of middle school. For high school she attended East High, where her eyes opened to the diversity the world has to offer. Her favorite things about East are the diversity the school holds, the strength and pride the community has, the unique atmosphere, and the feeling of acceptance no matter who you are. Over the years Garcia has accomplished a number of things such as varsity captain for three sports.
“Madi is incredibly involved in a plethora of activities and community events and still manages to balance a strong social life,” Urban Leadership 101 teacher Kristopher Rollins said.
Many may look at Garcia as the Tribe Leader at sporting events, a role model in sports, or a brainiac in the class room, but her involvements are way more than that. Whether it’s at East High with her athletic skills or downtown at the Social Club performing for Movement 515. She has excelled in volleyball, basketball, and soccer, alongside being involved in National Honor Society, National Council on Youth Leadership, DMPS Youth Advisory Board, and many other groups.
“Madi has developed incredible leadership skills, and has become an outspoken advocate for social justice,” Urban Leadership 101 teacher Emily Lang said.
Being involved in multiple groups and activities throughout high school will not only reward you at that time, but it will also help you in the future. Garcia’s involvement has impacted her tremendously.
She has earned varsity letters since she was a freshman in two out of the three sports she plays at East. While a 3.0 or higher GPA is any high school students dream, Garcia has maintained a 4.0 or higher earning her academic letters and a place on the Honor Roll. Des Moines Public Schools has also recognized Garcia’s efforts and nominated her for different panels and committees throughout the district.
“The transition back to California will be bittersweet,” Garcia said.
While moving half way across the country may be hard for some, it’s a start to a new beginning for Garcia. She got accepted into the University of San Diego earlier this spring and will soon be packing her bags to move in.
Garcia will be majoring in marine science starting in the fall of 2017 where she hopes to one day become a Marine Biologist who is active in the field, providing care for aquatic animals in an emergency.

top colleges

1 California Polytechnic State University

2 University of
San Diego

3 Pepperdine University

“To my old friends and to my new friends here, thank you for helping me grow and mold into the person I am today. Thank you for the memories and moments that have made up my childhood. Much love amigos/as”