Less Money, More Problems

How state budget cuts are affecting public education

Nikki Grove

This year’s legislative session started on January 8, and like most years, representatives have a lot to talk about. Discussions will include, the state budget, the state tax reform, and education funding, among others.
One thing being discussed this session at the Statehouse that could have a direct impact on students attending DMPS schools are Educational Savings Accounts, or ESAs. This gives parents a state monitored account with per-pupil funding in it, and they can spend it on their child’s education. Discussions about ESAs started last year and this year they are hoping to push them through. But going through with them will cost $240 million.
For example, say your parent would like to use the state funding that is allocated for you to be an East student, to homeschool you, send you to Waukee, or enroll you at a private school. These funds being pulled from where they are create an imbalance in funding and money that districts count on for their yearly budget.
“This would have budgetary implications for public schools as the state would not be working from an increased pool of money to distribute, so the ESAs or vouchers would shift money from that pool to be shared with private and or parochial schools,” Des Moines School Board member Cindy Elsbernd said.
School funding is also not expected to increase. Last year a 1.1 percent increase was approved, this year the projected increase is between zero and two percent.
“For DMPS, whether there is a 0 percent, a 1 percent, or a 1.5 percent increase in SSA for schools, it is not enough. Costs for school districts increase year after year just as they do for other businesses and they do so at a greater rate than 1.5 percent, which means that DMPS is looking for ways to make up for the shortfall this creates. The District is looking to do this in a way that has as little impact on the classroom as possible as they currently work on the FY2019 budget, but after many years in a row of inadequate SSA, that is getting harder and harder to do,” Elsbernd said.
There will be fewer resources for teachers to offer students, including less time with each individual student, more students in class rooms, and more stress for teachers and students.
“I think that what legislation forgets is that public education is a public good,” East teacher Sami El- Baroudi said.
Not only are teachers stressed but the cuts to funding also make parents stressed.
“As I parent, I am aware that my children’s educations are being affected by these cuts. My younger son attended Smouse Opportunity School when he was in elementary school because of his intellectual disabilities and his behavior issues. These programs are being significantly cut, in part, because our district hasn’t received enough funding from the state of Iowa for these programs for our most vulnerable students,” East teacher Julie Keith said.