Too Much Gun

Abby Folkerts, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Columbine, Sandy Hook, Marjory Stoneman Douglas. All three of these school shootings were considered at one point the “deadliest school mass shootings in American history”. But when does it stop? How can we stop future school shootings from happening? Well, that’s the million dollar question. Discussions ranging from tighter gun control laws, all the way to arming teachers in the classroom has people all over the country on the edge of their seats waiting for the government to make their next move. Just three weeks after the horrendous shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, the state government passed the “gun control and school safety” bill which takes a stand against the ever-growing gun debacle in America.

The state of Iowa is among the states that has yet to pass any laws in response to the recent school shootings. Should the State of Iowa act? Should they continue to do nothing? East High Senior President Alejandro Zarate shares his thoughts.

“It shouldn’t be just a local resolution. This problem needs a world-wide resolution. We need stricter gun reform, and a stricter psychological background check up,” Zarate said.

In addition to this, he also believes that the younger generation needs to stand up, unite, and speak up for the change they wish to see in the country and the world.

“I believe that in order to keep this from reoccurring, the youth needs to tell legislators that we need change or else we will be the next generation to change their legislative position in the government,” Zarate said.

One of the main things President Trump has suggested to congress is the need to arm teachers in classrooms. There are many people that oppose this idea, including senior Sayler Rivas.

“I think that arming teachers would be a very bad idea, only because it could make students feel intimidated in the school and not feel comfortable in their learning environment. Also, if teachers have access to guns there’s a possibility a student could get ahold of that gun and use it,” Rivas said.

What happens if a mentally ill teacher gets ahold of a firearm? What if something crazy happens and a gun accidentally goes off? These are all things congress needs to think about before they arm teachers. Maybe instead of giving teachers firearms, let’s give them classroom essentials such as pencils, pens, notebooks, folders, etc, and leave the protection of our students to police and student resource officers in the building. Students come to school everyday to learn and teachers come to school everyday to teach those who are eager to learn. Neither teachers nor students should have to fear for their lives in such an innocent environment.