East senior Jazzy Johnson shines

In her final year at East, Johnson leaves a lasting impact

Feeling comfortable in your own skin, being able to be yourself and not care what others think, standing up for what you feel is right. That is something everyone wishes they could do. If there was person that you knew that was like that, this person would become a figure of inspiration, someone who when they shine, they give others the opportunity to do the same. 

Meet Jazzy Johnson, a senior at East High School.  

“You have to be confident and learn to love and accept yourself as you are, you have to be unafraid to say what you want, you can’t let the words and other things people say affect you, those things are just obstacles that you need to realize you can overcome,” Johnson said. If you know Jazzy, you’re not alone. She known around the school, not only by the students but many teachers as well. One teacher who has known Johnson for quite a while and has a great relationship with her is Kayla O’Connor.  When asked about Johnson, O’Connor had many great things to say. 

“Jazzy is unapologetically herself, and she doesn’t really care what other people say. Everybody wants to be that comfortable in their own skin and that’s why she’s such a huge inspiration to others, because you want to strive to be that confident and that comfortable in any setting or environment, and for Jazzy it comes natural,” O’Connor said. 

Unapologetic. A word used many times to describe Johnson.  Not being afraid of your own imperfections, rather embracing then and being unapologetic about them.  

I think that she’s not afraid to use her voice, she’s not afraid of anybody, or to challenge anyone. She is…unapologetically herself.

— Kristopher Rollins

Movement 515 adivser Kristopher Rollins said. Rollins is another person that has seen the influence Johnson has on others. Knowing Johnson’s family and her older sister, Jalesha Johnson, he has seen her grow through the years. 

“Jazzy has grown as a person in her maturity and her ability to call people in rather than call people out. She is a fierce advocate especially for black kids and for her community and I think that she’s done a really good job of being herself and educating others rather than snapping,” Rollins said. One of Johnson’s best friends is Tatiana Hogges-Johnson. She has known Johnson since the eighth grade. 

“Jazzy is a very confident and bright person as well as a very caring person,” Hogges-Johnson said. Being a senior, many know that they want to be remembered for something during their four years of high school. To leave some kind of legacy. For Johnson many believe she will be very impactful for the generations of scarlets to come. 

“I think Jazzy’s legacy will be to not be afraid to speak your mind, she’s going to remind all the kids to come that you have a voice and you should use your voice for what you want people hear, to make sure what you want to say gets out and gets heard,” Johnson said.  

As for Johnson herself, she only has one thing she wishes to say, “There is more to high school than boys, there’s more to high school than fighting, there’s more than trying to impress people. It’s not just about all the clichés and the drama going on that day, at the end of the day it’s about you. Make sure you focus on you and do what need to so you can prepare for what comes after high school.” Johnson said.