Family Trumps Hate

Coexisting with family during the best time of the year

Abby Folkerts, Feature Editor

Snow is falling steadily outside, while you are inside wrapped up in a plethora of blankets and drinking a smooth cup of hot chocolate. You have the faint sound of Christmas music playing from your radio. This particular moment is the moment you have been waiting for all year, up until you heard the results of the election on November 8. Half of your family supported Donald Trump, and the other half supported Hillary Clinton. You know that there will be arguments this holiday season. The “holiday” mood is way different this year than in years past. There is a divide in some American families this year…all based on the outcome of the recent presidential election.
Happiness usually is in the air around this time of the year. The holiday season typically brings out the happiness in most individuals. People seem to be more energetic and positive during the holiday season as well. There are many reasons behind this theory- some being the Christmas spirit in the air, and others are being able to buy gifts for the people that you love, and whom are closest to you. Seeing family and friends is another big part of the holiday season. Being able to connect with family that you don’t see very often is another great reason why the holidays are the best time of the year. On the contrary, some people are not looking forward to seeing family this holiday season, and rightfully so. As Americans, we are very opinionated on issues that are happening within our country and in our world. If your family is divided between their beliefs on who should have won the election, there is bound to be some sort of argument this holiday.
Another part that most people look forward to is the food that is put on the table during the holiday season. The chocolate, cookies, and pie just all seem to taste better around this time of the year. While most people look forward to receiving gifts from loved ones, most people enjoy the spirit of giving as well. Buying gifts for others is empowering in of itself. Being able to make somebody happy, is priceless. Also, the fact that students and teachers get a longish break during the holiday season is another reason why it’s a great time of the year. Let’s be honest, students are ready for a break, and most teachers are probably ready for a break as well. We all need a little time away from school, to refresh ourselves and relax for the next part of the school year. In year’s past, winter break has been a time of relaxation. This year, it might be a little different. How are we supposed to relax when our families are going at each other about the election? Well, that honestly is the million dollar question.
How do we coexist with our families this year? How can we get rid of the tension in the room about who voted for who? The truth is, you really can’t avoid the tension about the recent election this year. Our world is on edge based on the results of our new president-elect. We all have our differences, but the holidays should not be centered around the presidential election. Instead of fighting with each other this holiday season, let’s grow closer. Nothing good ever comes from fighting and negativity. No matter our beliefs, we all need to stick together and remember that at the end of the day, family is forever, and our future president is temporary.