Class Size Matters

Nikki G.

It’s crowded, the students are rowdy, and there aren’t enough chairs so some kids have resorted to sitting on the floor. With at least 10 extra kids in the room, it’s becoming unbearable. Large class sizes in schools are a problem and it’s effecting the students.

This year, the Iowa legislature has decided to cut $117.8 million from the budget. This means that the size of classes will ultimately increase and less electives will be available for students which effects their education.

At school kids are expected to focus and learn but that can be hard in an overcrowded classroom where they can’t concentrate on the teacher or assignment in front of them.

In a classroom with less students there would be less distractions, helping students keep their attention on the lesson for the day or the test their taking.

Smaller classes are not only beneficial for the students but also for the teachers. With less kids to look after the teacher can spend less time addressing distractions and more time being able to teach.

Also with a reduced amount of students it means there can be more individualized attention, meaning the teacher will spend more time individually with each student because one-on-one time is important. This can help them have a better understanding of subjects, and be able to ask more questions that they have.

“Large classes sizes make it very difficult to differentiate and assist every student in the way that best helps them succeed.  When class sizes rise above a certain level student success is compromised, failures rise, and graduation rates drop,” East teacher Samy El-baroudi said.

With class sizes growing and growing kids aren’t going to get the quality education they need to succeed.