Immigration Injustice

The story of one girl whose father as stolen from her to be sent back to Mexico.

Gwendolyn Major, Reporter

5.3 million children are living in America with undocumented parents. Among those 5 million people lives Ally Salazar, an East High sophomore, who is just like you and me. In 2004, Ally’s fifth birthday party commenced. In the crowd of joyful children stood her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Salazar. Hours passed, the sun went down, and the party started to die, until law enforcement officers crept in and seized Ally’s father, Antonio Varela-Salazar. Why? For living illegally in the United States. Ally wasn’t expecting this, and couldn’t believe this was happening. Her mother, in shock, could do nothing but watch as her loving husband, and leader was dragged away from his children.
Ally’s dad was taken when she was very young, she doesn’t remember it much, she just remembers the feeling of emptiness from living without a father. When he came back, she never imagined it happening again. Her father and the rest of her family lived in peace for several years like every other American familia. They shopped, ate, attended sporting events, and watched movies together. When her dad was taken again last year, Ally’s world collapsed. However, she works hard to maintain her grades and make her father proud. Mr Salazar, is still awaiting deportation, until he can be sent back to Mexico he is being held in a federal prison. “He’s a good guy,” Alex Tiengkham, Ally’s boyfriend, said. Ally spoke very highly of Mr. Salazar, and wants everyone to know that he’s a good person, and a great father.
Ally’s dad would never make it to his daughter’s first high school sporting event.
“He was taken on September first. I remember because it was my first cheer game,” Salazar said.
Ally’s heart was broken as she faked a smile and pretended to be okay, as if immigration hadn’t just handcuffed her father.
“When he was taken away again it hurt even more,” Salazar said.
Ally wasn’t able to speak much about the most recent events. She did her best to block out that part of her life and tried her best to be strong for her family, mostly her mom.
After Ally’s father was taken from her she was left with one question: What now?