A look into EHS teacher Karin Hansen

A cup of black coffee and students graded assignments with yellow happy stickers on the right corner for those who earned an A. Once the students walk into start class there’s screaming and yelling with a mix of laughter. Is this any way for an English teacher to act like? Meet Karin Hansen who has the loudest laugh and makes fun of her students. Who also acts like a friend to many students and acts like a 26-year-old teenager.  

“I seriously love this job. I don’t cry often, but when I do, it’s because I have so much passion for this place and my students they’re frickin incredible. My students, past and present are the best parts of my life,” Karin Hasen said.  

Growing up in Madison, Wisconsin, Hansen grew up with parents who were extremely supportive and she was very focused on sports. She was involved in volleyball, basketball, soccer, lacrosse and golf. She was also involved in a lot of outdoor activities such as camping and hiking. One of her favorite childhood memories is going to Camp Randall to watch the Wisconsin Badgers or to “The Frozen Tundra” also known Lambeau Field to watch the Green Bay Packers.  

“I had a very pleasant surprise once I got to Des Moines. I love the small town yet city feel. The Midwest is the best,” Hansen said.  

Once she started her journey in Des Moines she originally didn’t want to be an English teacher, she claimed she hated it and went to college to become a veterinarian. She wanted to become a teacher because she says she’s super immature, kids are cooler than adults and understand her sense of humor than most adults. She loves coming to work because of her friendships with her students.  

“I like that she’s loud and always excited,” sophomore Paulina Hernandez said.  

Hernandez isn’t the only student Hansen has that appreciates her personality. 

“She is very happy, outgoing and easy to talk to, she makes me happy,” sophomore Alicia Solis said. 

Her advice to someone who wants to teach is that it’s amazing, rewarding and exhausting. It’s worth it but takes a lot of passion, energy, time and dedication. Hansen’s enthusiasm to teaching is something you don’t see in a lot of teachers but she had to overcome conflicts. Hansen went through a divorce that she felt changed her for good. 

“I realized how much strength and power I have. [I] was in a relationship with someone who only cared about his occupation and failed to understand why I loved mine so much. I knew that I deserved better and that the exhaustion and sadness and loneliness he caused me wasn’t going to be short-term thing while he finished Med school. He was in a relationship with medical school; and I had to have the strength and courage to not settle for such a relationship. I’m a happier, stronger woman without that toxicity and I know what I want in future relationships,” Hansen said.  

She plans to focus more on her life. She started chilling with her dog more, read nightly, writing daily and she started grad school. Focusing on her life. Her advice to anyone who is going through a divorce is to never settle and always be grateful for people that support you.  

“Don’t settle for abusive relationships because they seem healthy from the outside. Many people look at my relationship with jealousy because of my ex’s occupation and future salary, but didn’t consider its effect on me or my relationship. Money isn’t happiness and I can say with 100 percent honesty now,” Hansen said. 

Hansen has been through a lot throughout her divorce and always had advice for people who are going through this conflict. 

“Having a happy life is to have many positive relationships! So, stay strong! Build a support network! And Persist! Know your worth,” Hansen said.  

Hansen is an amazing teacher, she really connects with the students and understands them. She’s a type of teacher you can be yourself and joke around with. She is seen as a close friend to many students.  

“Keep caring for others because when you boil everything down- love is the only thing that matters,” Hansen said.