Surprising Time Changes For DMPS

Blake Christensen

If you’ve been waiting for East High to change what time school starts, Then you’re in luck. Recently DMPS (Des Moines Public Schools) has announced that they will be changing the start times in their schools from 7:40 to 8:25. The change is said to be because of the sleep patterns of students, and how
this change will help children and teens alike. The start time changes will most likely start to be in effect in the 2018-2019 school year.  

“The new start time affects me by giving me more time to sleep and making sure I get to class on time but negatively affects me because I hate getting out later and I’d much rather get out early and now I have to change my work availability,” junior Nolan Schooley said. 

Ever since early October, DMPS made a chart, put out multiple videos, and also held open meetings for what the new start times would turn into to. They are very passionate about this new change to the district and for good reason. This way, DMPS is showing that they are putting the health and education of their students as their main focus. In fact, studies are showing that after puberty, students have healthier sleep when they fall asleep later and wake up later. Other than falling asleep early and waking up at around 6 a.m. in the morning.  

“I think they’re changing it because kids are late a lot and they think it will fix it and studies show that it helps sleeping in later,” Schooley said.  

Students who are older tend to get healthier sleep when they fall asleep later at night and wake up later in the morning (typically, around 8). But pre-pubescent children have shown to have better sleep when they fall asleep earlier in the night and wake up earlier. This statistic alone has shown to be the complete opposite of what the current start times are throughout DMPS.  

“I think that DMPS should just keep the times the way they are now and not change them its fine. It’s the kids fault and it will mess up parent’s schedules,” Schooley said.  

Nolan is somewhat true here. Regardless of what the times are now, students should still try and get to school on time every day. But this new time will make doing just that extremely easier.  

“The new start time will affect me by allowing me more time to sleep and get rest. It will also allow me to be well prepared in the morning, such as always eating breakfast and not rushing to school,” Junior Joe Ramsey said. 

However, there are some cons to this new start time from Des Moines Public Schools. 

“It will negatively affect me by causing me to have to quit or change my availability for work by finishing school at 3:25 p.m.”, Junior Joe Ramsey said. this new time change will make students adapt to the new times and try to change time for the workplace as well. 

With all of this time change happening in DMPS, there are certainly some pros and some cons to this topic and it will be a very interesting change to the school environment as a whole. 

There will definitely be some benefits but also some downsides to the new start time but one thing is for sure, it will be a very interesting change to East High in the 2018 through 2019 school year.