DACA and the dreamers at East

In early September of 2017, President Trump announced plans to end a program that protects over 800,00 people. These people are DACA recipients, otherwise known as Dreamers. These Dreamers are walking the halls of East and are constant contributors to the East community. 

DACA or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals gives children who have come to the U.S, deferred action and authorization to work. “Deferred action” refers to a decision to delay the removal action of an individual. This policy was created by President Obama in 2012, but the program had not been renewed by President Trump, until a judge in California ordered the Trump administration to continue processing DACA renewal applications. Over 200,000 DACA recipients’ permits would have expired after 2017, but for now they still have access to renewing their applications. The Trump administration is still seeking to terminate the program. Many DACA students are worried because their future is uncertain. 

Students at East are seeking and support and advice from teachers and counselors who have educated themselves on DACA and its potential impact on students. 

” I currently am working with students that are a part of DACA. In class we’ve talked about their fears, because their future is uncertain,” East Spanish teacher Ruby Herrera said. 

Herrara, a strong supporter of DACA, says it hurt when she heard the news about the potential end of DACA. She says that it hurt because these students were promised the American Dream and now it’s being threatened to be taken away from them. Ms. Herrara hopes that one day, everyone that wishes to live in the U.S will be protected, not just DACA recipients.  

Lori T. Chesser, an Iowa immigration lawyer stated in a blog post that there could be many negative effects if DACA is rescinded, including many businesses losing valued workers. Chesser encourages contacting local senators in order to defend DACA. 

One East junior, Cindy Delgado, an active member of Science Bound and Al Exito, and a former DACA recipient shares her experience with the program. 

“I was able to legally work using a valid social security number issued to me. I would have also been able to get a permit and later a driver’s license. I also was able to travel anywhere in the country without having the fear of being deported for not having some sort of proper identification,” Delgado said. 

Cindy has lived in the U.S for 17 years, she was six months old when she arrived. She has also attended East since she was a freshman. Recently, Cindy has become a resident and no longer needs the DACA program, but she still has concerns for others. 

“My concern are that after their DACA cards expires that they would not have anything to protect them. They could potentially lose their jobs because they would no longer hold a valid working permit therefore most employers would fire them due to inadequate documentation,” Delgado said. 

Cindy says she hopes that there will be a clearer pathway to citizenship, there needs to be something to protect the individuals that are seeking success in America. 

“Even though I’m not a DACA student I will always consider myself a dreamer and will always continue to fight for equality in this country,” Delgado said.