Q&A with Alejandro Zarate

Abby Folkerts, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Humanitarian, political activist, kind-hearted, and hard-working. These are all words that could be used to describe senior Alejandro Zarate. From being president of four clubs here at East, to participating in many different sports and activities, Zarate will definitely be missed here at East when he walks across the stage with the class of 2018 at the Knapp Center on May 26.

1. How does it feel knowing you graduate in a month?

“I’m actually very sad it’s going to be happening because all of the work and all of the stress that we’ve been going through, it kind of feels like we made it, but its still sad that we’re leaving.”

1. What activities are you involved with at East?

“I am very involved. I am president of four different clubs- student government, senior board, pep club, and Central College upward bound. I am treasurer of NHS, and I do sports like cross country, swimming, tennis, I also did theater, handbells.”

1. Any activities you are involved with in the community?

“Iftar dinner is a national movement that kids from all around Des Moines. President Clinton had made a tradition where we wanted to resolve any crises around the world. One of the muslim presidents actually came during that time of religious fasting, so in order to show respect, President Clinton moved his feeding time around. He realized if you sit together with someone having a crisis, then you can resolve it just by talking. Iftar dinner is a unity inclusion dinner for everyone in the nation. There is approximately 30 schools around the nation who are doing it. I am hosting one of the national ones.”

1. Do you feel that you have changed from freshman to senior year? How?

“Definitely. Freshman year I was a chunkier, and introverted dude. As time went on, I realized that I can’t really do much if I’m introverted and if I don’t do much. I started getting more friends. I started getting more involved and that’s when I learned that if you’re more involved you feel better because you know more people. I felt like it was a very big change from freshman to senior year because I have physically changed, I’ve mentally changed, and anything that I can help with I will try to be there.”

1. What college are you going to?

University of Iowa

1. What do you plan to major in?

Neurosurgery

1. What made you want to major in that?

“My sister is a doctor in Mexico, and she’s always said to do something you love. I’ve always liked mammals and I thought about becoming a marine biologist but as I kept studying it I was like, ‘I don’t want to focus on the ocean forever’, so I thought to myself what the next best thing would be for me. I chose humans, and after my research neurosurgery does sound fun, and I think this is something I could do.”

1. How would you describe senior year in one word?

Astounding

1. What’s your advice to juniors coming into senior year?

“Get ready because it’s gonna kick your butt.”

1. What sparked you to become a political activist?

“It all started when SF 481 passed. I have family that is affected by this. I try to do my best in what I can and with the knowledge I have. This is actually pretty fun. It’s not going to school and learning the curriculum, it’s more of learning what real life is. It’s very interesting.”

1. What do you like to do in your free time?

“I love going on runs. I love talking to my friends and hanging out with them. I’m not a big reader, but I do love being caught up with the news. I am more politically active now. Anything that involves politics I am there for and I try to stand up for what I believe in.”

1. What will be the hardest thing about graduating?

“The kids and my friends who have been there for me through the toughest times. I know I’ll have to leave some of them behind, just because of college reasons. I will always be there for them. I’ll be heartbroken because I know I’ll be farther away from them.”

1. How do you want to be remembered by your peers?

“I want to be remembered as someone who was there for them. I’m not looking for the popularity, I’m not looking to be the best at this or the best at that. I’m looking for remembrance of the heart.”

1. What is your biggest accomplishment?

“Meeting every single one of you guys.”

1. Anything else you want to add?

“I just want to say it’s been a blast being here. I’ve learned so much from you guys and I am so happy to be a Scarlet. If anyone ever needs anything, they’ll know where I’m at.”