Review on “The Society”

Shukri Abdirahman

No parents, no adults, partying, chaos, confusion. An exact replica of their town, yet, so different from before. This is what life looks like for the teens of West Ham, Connecticut.

“The Society” is a Netflix show inspired by the novel “The Lord of the Flies.” The show is about a group of teenagers who drop into a parallel universe that is identical to their hometown. They leave for a 10-day trip but when they have to come back home due to a storm, the whole town is exactly the same except the whole population of West Ham has disappeared, including their parents. The students must figure out how to survive and find out the reason behind this mystery. Its first episode was released in 2019. It was supposed to be renewed for a second season, but the show was cancelled due to COVID-19.

At first when the students come back to their town, they realize that they have all this freedom and they start to party but things slowly start to become dangerous when Allie and her friends need to come up with a system for how all of the students are going to be able to survive off of the limited resources. The teens are cut off from the rest of the world electronically, and the roads to the neighboring towns are also blocked by an endless forest. They have nowhere to go and they need to find a way back home.

The show was interesting because it was not “just another high school drama series.” The show was more fascinating than that. Parents and all adults just suddenly disappearing is something that would happen in our imagination and not in real life, so it was interesting to see how the teens managed. I recommend this show to anyone who is looking for a mystery/teen drama series to watch.