The student news site of Des Moines East High School

East Scroll

East Scroll

East Scroll

Polls

What is your favorite winter activity to do in Des Moines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mrs. Giboo

You heard that right. Kelly Giboo is at East this year. You may know her from Hiatt You may have had Mr. Giboo for Biology or he may be your coach meet his wife, Kelly.
Mrs.+Giboo

If you heard about a new staff member at East named Mrs. Giboo, you may think; don’t you mean Mr. Giboo? No! Kelly Giboo is at East this year. Kelly Giboo is a Behavioral disorders teacher. She works with kids who struggle to get to class on time or even who struggle to make it to class. Kelly takes the role in making kids who feel like they’re not being checked up on and letting them know they are being checked on.
“When I see someone that I’ve been checking up on and ask them why they haven’t been in class they always look confused and say, “you’ve been checking up on me?” Giboo said.
“I like to help with kids, and I may be kind of tough, but it’s only tough love” Giboo said.
Giboo took a year off from education to set her boundaries between personal life and work. Giboo was at Love Joy for five years and Hiatt for five, she realized that it was time to set her boundaries and took a step back, she went to work for someone who she worked for part time and got offered a full-time job.
“I always tell people there’s only one you,” Giboo said.
Giboo went to be a director for operations, which gave her enough time to take care of herself. She opened a coffee shop with the people she worked for.
Giboo makes a lot of connections with her students and helps with the kids who don’t have an IEP.
The Giboos are currently living in a camper while her family is waiting for her house to be built in the country where she has always wanted to live. She lived in the country when she was a kid and Mr. Giboo loves to hunt. They made it to where he could hunt, and their four dogs could roam with no worries.
“When you come from the country to the city, it’s a big change,” Giboo said.
Giboo and her husband only get a little time together as they are both working in the educational field and Giboo coaches a lot. They are okay with how much time they get together. The Giboos decided to move from the country to the city because they wanted their children to have better opportunities for them in sports. And to be exposed to diversity and culture. When the Giboos lived in the country, their kids started school in West Des Moines where Mrs. Giboo worked. As her children got to upper elementary, is when they moved to the East Side of Des Moines.
“It’s kind of like ice cream, if you eat too much of it, you’ll get tired of it,” Giboo said