The student news site of Des Moines East High School

East Scroll

East Scroll

East Scroll

Polls

What is your favorite winter activity to do in Des Moines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mean Girls

The 2024 Movie-Musical Remake

“Mean Girls”, an iconic teen comedy movie released in 2004 about a girl named Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) moving to a new high school after being homeschooled all her life in Africa. She quickly gets caught up in drama with the Plastics, the most popular girls in school. Regina George, Karen Smith and Gretchen Weiners slowly turn a once nice girl into a mean one. Now in 2024, 20 years later, Mean Girls has been re-released with a new cast as a musical!
The original cast consisted of Cady Heron played by Lindsay Lohan now played by Angourie Rice, Regina George played by Rachel McAdams now as Renee Rapp, Gretchen Weiners played by Lacey Chabert now played by Bebe Wood and Karen Smith played by Amanda Sayfried and now Avantika Vandanapu. The new cast resembles the old cast well with looks being similar and acting similarly to the original cast.
Unlike the 2004 movie, the 2024 movie is a musical. Incorporating songs from the Broadway musical version of Mean Girls. This includes songs like “Meet the plastics”, “Stupid with love”, “Sexy”, “World Burn” and many more songs throughout the musical. The music from the 2024 musical movie was overall unsuccessful and largely hated by the community and social media. An overall rating score of 62/100, while the majority enjoyed this movie it is still in the average of ratings.
People considered this a bad film of an array of reasons here’s what critics said. “The remake was bearable but unneeded.” “The trend of adapting films into stage musicals and then movie musicals has produced hits such as Hairspray, and misses including The Producers. Mean Girls, falls somewhere in between, although it leans closer to a miss.” “fact is, the very idea of repackaging Mean Girls is insulting. It perpetuates the degradation that has overtaken pop culture since 2004, the year the culture broke,” Critic reviews from Rotten Tomatoes said. These critic reviews help show just the tip of the iceberg on how people feel on this film.
Should you watch the new Mean Girls movie? While most people disliked this film it’s a good experience to watch it but to remember that it is generally a lower quality movie, in terms of music, filming, and directing. Before watching this movie it’s also recommended to watch the original for contrast. “This didn’t really NEED to be made. Was a fun watch but ultimately meh”, “prob the worst movie I’ve ever seen… was a musical the entire time. I missed the original,” audience reviews from Rotten Tomatoes said.