The student news site of Des Moines East High School

East Scroll

East Scroll

East Scroll

Polls

What is your favorite winter activity to do in Des Moines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Jessika Coll

Diving in to bigger and better thing

If you’ve attended an East girl’s swim meet or caught a bowling meet during the last four years, you’ve probably heard Jessika Coll’s name. This senior athlete is going on to bigger and better things.
“My swimming career was great, I had one goal for many years, to beat the 100m breaststroke school record and I achieved it, it felt amazing I felt like a missing part of my life was with that goal, and I filled it, and I look good swimming so that’s a bonus,” Coll said.
Swimming was a big part of her life. She has been swimming since she was eight years old, and it will continue to be a big part of her life as she goes on to swim in college.
“I’m Going to Simpson College to swim and take pre veterinary, possibly enlist in the military, and hopefully swim at Iowa State and finish veterinary school there, then move out of Iowa, and travel, and adventure,” Coll said.
Coll’s athletic career isn’t the only thing that has evolved. She had come far in her friendships as well.
“The friends that I have now are amazing but the friends I had my junior and sophomore year weren’t so good, I’m grateful for my senior year and the friends that I’ve made,” Coll said.
There are pros and cons to high school making new friends is definitely a pro.
“She is my best friend, and she is always the person I got to when I need help because she’s a wonderful person to be around,” junior Rileigh Schillinger said.
Friends can become family when you spend so much time together at sports, practices and meets.
“Jessika to me, is family, she is like a best friend to me, we have so much fun and have many memories together,” sophomore Addison Stancil said.