The student news site of Des Moines East High School

East Scroll

East Scroll

East Scroll

Polls

What is your favorite winter activity to do in Des Moines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Girls swimming

Fly, back, breast , free, Scarlets swim to victory
Girls+swimming
Photo/K.Shannon

You walk through the pool doors, the heat instantly hits you, the smell of the chlorine brushes your nose, you hear the sound of snapping as the swimmers put their swim caps and goggles on, then you watch them do a cheer before the meet starts and they dive in.
The East High girls swim team is a great place to make memories. A lot of girls have been swimming for a long time and have made a lot of memories when talking before they start practice, playing sharks and minnows, and more.
“I started swimming when I was seven years old, in third grade, because my parents wanted me to quit baseball and it was a cheaper sport,” senior Jessika Coll said.
Some swimmers were pushed to do the sport by their families, and some do it because they want to
“I started swimming when I was six or seven years old, my intuition told me to join,” junior Lisbeth Munoz-Rodriguez
swimming feels good. When you beat your goals for the end of the season, whether it’s your own goal or a coach’s goal, success feels good.
“My goal for the end of the season is to break the high school record for the 100 breaststrokes and to go to state for my 100-yard breaststrokes,” Coll said.
This year’s swimming season has been a lot of fun; a few things have changed from the previous year, like morning practice on Wednesdays and Fridays at 6 a.m., where the team focuses more on small differences that make you faster.
“Waking up early in the morning sucks but at the end of the day we improve,” Munoz-Rodriguez said.
A couple swimmers enjoy morning practice and some do not, not all are morning people. “It’s peaceful and we get to talk a lot, and we get to focus more on what we need to improve on,” Coll said.
The team has a lot of fun and works hard to get faster. Even if you don’t know how to swim, the coaches will teach you. Swimming is a great activity to get involved in at East High School. The coaches Erin Lowe and Anna Liu welcome anyone to the team.