The student news site of Des Moines East High School

East Scroll

East Scroll

East Scroll

Polls

What is your favorite winter activity to do in Des Moines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dealing with stress

how seniors deal and cope with stress

Your high school years are ending. It is semester two of your senior year and you are feeling more stressed than ever. The final year of high school. It is supposed to be a time of celebration, of anticipation for the future, of basking in the culmination of years of challenging work. But for many seniors, it is a pressure cooker of emotions, a constant hum of anxiety that vibrates beneath the surface of their carefree smiles. There are two types of seniors, you are either on top of your work getting everything done to finish strong or you slack and wait till the last minute. Whichever you are, you are still constantly stressed. I talked to a few seniors at East Highschool, and they have all said senior stress is the worst. Stress is a natural reaction to challenging or demanding situations. It is your body’s way of preparing to deal with a threat or danger. People like to cope with stress by physical activities, it is a wonderful way to release tension and boost your mood. Many seniors I know play sports and they tell me how it is a way they get their minds off anything once they get on the football field, track, basketball court or baseball fields. Also just having a good mindset can help you become more aware of your thoughts and feelings and learn to let go of negative emotions. Getting enough sleep is essential for managing stress.

Spending time with loved ones and talking about your feelings can be a fantastic way to reduce stress, even just doing things you love can reduce stress. But stress is a common experience, and there are resources available to help you cope. The pressure comes from all sides. College applications loom large, casting a long shadow over every decision. Every grade feels like a referendum on their future, every test a potential roadblock to their dreams. The fear of failure, of not getting into their desired school, is a constant companion. Then there is the social pressure. The whispers of “what are you doing next year?” echo through the hallways, a constant reminder of the impending separation from friends and the familiar comfort of their high school bubble. The fear of missing out, of not having the “perfect” senior year experience, adds another layer to the stress. And let us not forget the internal pressure. The self-doubt, the questioning of their choices, the feeling of being lost in a sea of possibilities. The pressure to be perfect, to have it all figured out, is a heavy burden to carry.

To the many seniors out there, remember that you are not alone. The stress you feel is real, and it is valid. But you are also strong, capable, and resilient. You have the power to navigate this pressure cooker and emerge on the other side, ready to take on the world. Amidst the stress, there is also a glimmer of hope. The realization that this is a time of transition, a time to grow and learn. It is a time to say goodbye to the past and embrace the future, with all its uncertainties and possibilities.