All About Judy Lee

Get to know one of East’s most outgoing teachers

Kristiana Lilly

You are greeted by a funny, energetic teacher as soon as you hit the fourth floor. Her room is welcoming and a place students feel like they belong. This is Judy Lee. Lee is one of East High’s graphic design teachers. Lee has worked at East High School for years.  

Lee is from Wheeling, Illinois. Lee grew up in a home with only her and her parents, although she does have a brother who lives in Korea. She grew up surrounded by her culture. Lee considered where she grew up the  ghetto of the suburbs in Chicago,”. 

Lee went to a very diverse high school like East High. She grew up being the only person in her household who could speak English. Lee gained patience and an understanding for those who do not understand. One thing Lee struggled with when growing up was the acculturation of living in both America and living in the Asian culture. She always questioned why her parents were never very affectionate with her unlike everyone else was with their daughtersLee realized as she got older that her parents didn’t love her any less than everybody else, they just had a different way of showing it.  

“Love is different in Asian cultures,” Lee said.   

Lee had a great college experience. Lee attended Drake University. 

“It was a time I truly got to know myself,” Lee said. 

She learned her work ethic and lots of her capabilities while in collegeGrowing up, Lee always had an interest in art.  

“I took like all of the art classes at my high schooleven AP Art,” Lee said. 

Her favorite kind of art is digital art, which she teaches here at East. Lee did not know that she wanted to be a teacher until she sat down with her college counselor and got put into some education classes where she fell in love with teaching. Although Lee has a passion for art and teaching, she doesn’t feel as though it’s the perfect fit for her.  

“I eventually want to leave education. Over years of teaching, I have realized I like sitting and talking with my students and actually building a relationship with them more than I am worried about them knowing the curriculum,” Lee said. 

Lee would eventually like to go back to college and get her degree to be a counselor for young adults and children.  

In Ms. Lees free time she likes to chill.  

“I like to be by myself,” Lee said.   

Lee only hangs out with one or two people when she does hang out with anyone. When lee does go out into a social setting you will most likely find her at a music concert/festival or a food festival.         

Lee lives her life through this motto to hold herself accountable for all her actions. 

“Everything is like, 100 percent on you,” Lee said. 

Lee strives to make every student feel accepted and comfortable in her classroom.  

“My favorite thing about Ms. Lee is that she puts in the effort to get to know her students, I think that’s important in the high school environment especially because we see each other almost every day,” senior Kaylyn Folsom said.   

Ms. Lee also connects well with adults in the school.  

“She is always positive and entertaining,” Art teacher Joleine Weller said.  

Ms. Lee is overall a caring, genuine, and intelligent person. Her room is a comfortable and relaxing environment. It is a place where students can express themselves and where they can feel judgement free. Lee has a positive impact on all her students and deserves recognition for her awesome qualities.