The student news site of Des Moines East High School

East Scroll

East Scroll

East Scroll

Polls

What is your favorite winter activity to do in Des Moines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Addams Family

From comic strip in the late 1930s to a Broadway
musical in 2013 and now in 2023 East High School has “Addams Family” on their stage.

Everything you see in this production is the result of countless hours of work, from the actors, the band, multiple choreographers, the costume crew, the makeup crew, the light crew, sound crew and several directors including Jamal Allan, Ginger Johnson, Kira Caulfield, Chris Williams, and Cameron White.
“Aside from being a very fun and entertaining show, “The Addams Family” is an important show with a beautiful message. It teaches us to embrace our own individuality and love ourselves regardless of how others may view us. It shows us the importance of love, of family, and of friendship as well as appreciating the unique qualities and differences in others,”Allan said.
Part of the excellent visuals of this production were provided by our lead lighting designer Junior Hannah Dank. Who provided the production with 493 lighting cues, with the use of these lights Dank was capable of telling the story of Addams Family the musical with just the lights in the auditorium.
“I think the work I accomplished during this production was a very delightful and important way of portraying and telling this wonderful chaotic story. I definitely learned a lot through out this production and I’m very grateful to have been apart of it,” Dank said.
The costumes were thought of and brought to life by Johnson and Senior, Johanna Barajas-Lopez. The makeup look was chosen by Allan, Allan was looking through different productions of the musical and had saw a production from Toronto where they had painted their entire faces and other exposed areas of skin with white face paint with black along the lips, contour lines, and jaw lines which had inspired the look used for the production.
“I always say this about all my clothing projects but I definitely feel like I could have done a lot better, but due to me focusing my time and also being apart of the musical I didn’t have much time to put 110% into the costumes. But with everything we got I think me and Chantae (the other person that helped with costumes) did a good job especially with ancestors, originally Mr.Allan told us he wanted more of a “worn” look for ancestors but then like a week later he changed it to all white so it was a difficult process finding unique pieces but I think we had some great pieces like Chris’s Cape, Mathew’s tunic, and Lacy’s costume. Overall I think everything turned out great and really gave everyone their own unique look and make the show amazing,” Barajas-Lopez said.

Cast List

Gomez Addams
Santiago Melendez Lopez

Morticia Addams
Stephanie Ruiz Hernandez

Wednesday Addams
Juliette Herrera Benal

Pugsley Addams
Matthew Iannantuono

Fester
Karlie Flam

Grandmama
Chloe Rangel

Lurch
Atticus Proctor

Alice Beineke
Genesis Maldondo Tobar

Lucas Beineke
Eh K Baw Moo

Malcolm Beineke
Carlos Guerra Caballero