Senior Scroll Staff

Have you ever wondered who’s worked on the Scroll through the pandemic, virtual learning, and a shooting? The senior Scroll staff have persevered through it all.

Ny’Asia Gully

Joined freshman year

What is your favorite part about Scroll and why?
“My favorite part about Scroll is how I’m able to express myself and the unconditional love and support I’ve received while being in the class. Everyone has a great vibe and I love the articles I cover,” senior Ny’Asiah Gully said.

What’s your best advice for new Scroll members?
“I’d say choose topics you are passionate about and don’t be afraid to express your emotions! The Scroll members are very supportive so don’t be afraid to express yourself and try new things. Don’t just stick to a how-to or Q&A articles, do a podcast or a personal narrative. Open up Illustrator or Photoshop. Have fun with design. The sky’s the limit in Scroll. Take advantage,” she said.

Do you plan on going to college? If so, what for?
“I plan on attending DMACC for two years after high school and hopefully get a job at the airport. Then, I want to move out of state. I’m hoping to move to North Carolina to become a travel nurse,” she said.

Gracie Withee

Joined senior year

Has your Scroll experience changed your plans for the future? 
“Yeah, it has. Before I joined any classes with Mrs. Niemeyer, I never wanted to do Journalism. I just thought, oh your writing you know. It’s actually really impactful if you think about it,” she said.

“I would just say don’t stress about it. Do what you think is important to people, and what you would actually want to write about,” she said.

What is your favorite thing to do outside of school and why?
“I like to go hangout with friends just because its like a letdown of the day. You just get to relax with your friends and have fun,” she said.

Ebony Walton

Joined sophomore year

Tell me about Ms. Niemeyer. How has she helped you?
“Ms. Niemeyer has helped me a lot. She has helped me since I first started journalism. She has always told me that I could do so much better than what I was doing and so she was helping me out a lot. Then I ended up coming to newspaper and she started helping me even more. She was a big help to me,” she said.

“All you got to do is try your best and ask for help if you do need it because a lot of people will help you in here,” she said.

Who’s your favorite music artist?
“I’d say right now, Brent Faiyaz,” she said.

Kirsten Pierce

Joined freshman year

“Yes. I plan on going to Iowa State for criminal justice. I’m really excited for it,” she said.

“Don’t procrastinate. It really screws up your flow with everything,” she said.

Tell me about you.
“I feel like I’m really quiet. I really like to work hard and get stuff done,” she said.