The student news site of Des Moines East High School

East Scroll

East Scroll

East Scroll

Polls

What is your favorite winter activity to do in Des Moines?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Evelyn Romero-Duron

Senior Evelyn Romero-Duron is now walking the stage at graduation, the memories of the past 4 years rewinding through her head as she now heads to Iowa State University to create new ones.
Evelyn+Romero-Duron

What was your time like at East?
“Honestly, I really liked it, going more out like to games, other school activities are really fun. To just get to know more people and you know just to have a good time,” Romero-Duron said.
Any favorite moment or take away?
“I would have to say games, meeting a lot of friends and people. To just enjoy the high school environment,” Romero-Duron said.
Any clubs, sports, activities that you are involved in?
“I’m involved in Scarlet Squad, Science Bound, Talent Search, East cross country my senior year, Ambassadors and Latinos in Action,” Romero-Duron said.
What inspired you to get so involved?
“The people around me, I would have to say Isabella Lopez (Graduate from East High school in 2022, now alumni), she really was involved a lot, so I also joined because of friends like her,” Romero-Duron said.
What is your favorite memory or moment with your family that you will forever cherish?
“Our family travels, like were always in the car together so like we always connect more in the car, our longest road trip was probably to California. The tulip festival that we always go to are really fun,” Romero-Duron said.
What does family mean to you?
“Family means a lot to me, just because I’m so close, I depend on them as much as they depend on me. So, I’m a role model for my younger siblings so I just became that role model for them, I can kind of pave the way for them, so they experience the same things as me. You know I’m finishing high
school, education is important, I want them to achieve,” Romero-Duron said.
What are you doing after you graduate East?
“I’m going to Iowa State University, Science Bound is covering my tuition which is amazing. I’m planning on majoring in biology, with a career out of health care management, possibly an ultrasound technician in the future, it’s my dream. I’m nervous, all the emotions, graduation is very close, I’m excited, sad you know. It just all these four years have just been so long yet so quick. You met all these people, you grow into all these relationships and once we graduate, we all go their separate ways after, its bittersweet. I’m sad to leave my family, but I’m not going to be far, so I’ll be back to visit often,” Romero-Duron said.
Why did you choose that major?
“Honestly, I prefer science over math, I’m better in science than math. I enjoy anatomy so I’m going to go that route, more towards biology,” Romero-Duron said.
What would be your advice as a senior to the underclassmen?
“Go to more games and events, they are so much fun, your friends play a part in making it fun, everyone is just there together, it just a good time. Get more involved. Enjoy high school before its gone,” Romero-Duron said.